International Moving Companies’ Tips on Preparing for an International Move
Advice from a Leader Among International Moving Companies
Moving involves a lot of planning and preparation to get everything done on time. But when it comes to moving internationally, there’s even more to consider. Visas, healthcare, and support systems aside, packing and transporting your belongings overseas can be overwhelming. That’s why we’re here to help.
As one of the premier international moving companies in the nation, Great Plains Moving and Storage has years of experience helping families relocate all around the world. Use these packing and planning tips to prepare for your international move.
- Start early - An international move involves a lot of moving parts – literally. The sooner you start planning, the more time and energy it will save you later. Create a physical or digital folder for flight itineraries, permits, contracts, and other essential documents. Make a “master list” of everything you need to accomplish before moving day and set reminders on your phone. Being organized will eliminate a great deal of stress.
- Hire a reputable moving company - This will make or break your overseas moving experience. When deciding between international moving companies, choose one which has a reputation for stellar customer service and on-time delivery.
- Pack wisely - What you take with you to a new country tends to be a little different than what you’d pack if you were moving across town. Donate, sell, or toss anything that is no longer wanted or needed, or look into long-term storage options. If you are packing everything yourself, remember to carefully label all boxes and disassemble any furniture pieces. We recommend asking your movers about professional packing services, so nothing is left to chance.
- Communicate - Most international moving companies will match you with a move coordinator who will keep you up to date on any developments during your overseas move. Don’t be afraid to check in with them frequently if you have any questions or concerns. Regular communication with your moving team is sure to give you peace of mind.
- Finalize the details - About a month before your move, look over the details of your lease, visa, or insurance. Did you, your children, and your pets receive all the necessary vaccines? Are you on the hook for any damage fines at your old residence? Consider the technical aspects of your move in advance, so when you arrive, you can focus on settling into your new surroundings.
Contact Great Plains Moving and Storage
No matter where you’re going in the world, Great Plains Moving and Storage can get you there. Contact us today to learn more about our international moving services and to schedule a free consultation.